This set of NFC stat tracking boxes comes fully assembled and ready to go. You're purchasing one set, blue and gold, two functioning 5 button boxes with NFC readers so players can "tap in" and save their stats. It connects to the Killer Queen arcade cabinet using an ethernet cable, so you'll need access to the inside to run the cable. You'll also need to power both boxes (power adapters are included) and you'll need a Wi-Fi connection. Players will need to register their cards one time to save the card's ID to their kqhivemind.com account. Then they can log in and log out with a simple tap and button press to save their stats. The lights show which positions are currently logged in. Players can log out by pressing the illuminated button.
This item ships free. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. Or come win one at BB5 in Baltimore.
This is open-source hardware. Thank you for supporting it. You can also buy an extra set here to sponsor or partially sponsor another city so we can get more cabs online. Send me a message or use the 'cart notes' if you have a preference which city I should apply your donation to.
Parts you'll need if you decide to build your own:
- box kit cut laser cut from 1/8" thick wood (we're using hardboard)
- wood glue to assemble the box
- hot glue to fix other hardware in place
- ten 5v 24mm .110 connector led buttons, 5 yellow, 5 blue
- wire and solder OR daisy chained grounded connector wires with female headers on one end and .110 female spade terminal connectors. This step is the most labor intensive, http://focusattack.com/20-pin-joystick-button-harness/ is probably a huge time saver but I haven't tested this yet
- two raspberry pi zero w, ones with headers recommended (currently hard-ish to get because of the chip shortage)
- two 5v 2.5a micro usb power supplies
- two on/off usb switches (optional but useful for resets)
- one micro-usb male to usb-a female OTG cable
- usb micro to usb a and ethernet adapter hub
- two micro-sd cards with kqhivemind software loaded
- ethernet cable to go from cab pc to blue NFC box 6 ft is plenty
- standard 110v ac power splitter/surge protector to go inside gold cab for usb power adapter for gold NFC box OR just run power over from blue cab
- two usb NFC readers ACR122U or order from China and wait
- any supported NFC tag (very broad range of cards are accepted) one per player. We got custom Baltimore ones made for about $1.50 each for 100. I think giving them away to interested newbees may encourage them to come back.
- Wiring diagram will be added/updated after I receive and test the focus attack harness, but basically, each button has four terminals: two get wired to common ground, the third is to control the led, and the fourth is for the button signal to tell the pi when the button is pressed. The third and forth terminals get their own wires to their own pin on the pi. you can configure them using the config file to tell the pi what goes where, or you can use the standard wiring we're using on the ones we build.
Software setup instructions: http://kqhivemind.com/setup/pi
KQ Hivemind is free open-source technology developed by Abby C and maintained here: https://kqhivemind.com/about You can support it by using it and by pledging funds to the patreon https://www.patreon.com/kqhivemind
Just a heads up...
This product is neither endorsed nor supported by Bumblebear Games and may stop working at any time if they decide to change their software to block it. We are not anticipating this to happen, but if it does we won't be able to offer a refund.